Thursday, February 11

vintage velvet heart.....artful thursday #6 tutorial


welcome to artful thursday today. i was so looking forward to just sitting and stitching today since i knew i would be cutting into the vintage silk velvet dress i found for my project. i had to make myself stop sewing just so i could take a few photos.
the day was cloudy with a few snow flurries, i sat and looked out my window and pulled the needle and thread through the velvet as i added each bead and dreamed. after yesterday's craziness that started at 4am and went non-stop even through lunch until 11pm last night i needed a quiet day today.

if you have ever come across a piece of vintage silk velvet you know how luxurious the velvet feels. it feels warm to the hand and incredibly light and supple. i found this beautiful pink velvet dress for just a few dollars at the antique mall. it was hanging on a nasty wire hanger, torn in several places with its covered buttons hanging limply in place. i folded it over my arm and carried it through the store, almost too distracted to keep shopping.


at home in my studio the dress has been waiting for valentines day.....
the heart pattern came from a piece of blue cotton fabric i found outside on the ground, already in the shape of a heart. weird huh.
i thought about maybe using the back of a worn out handstitched quilt to stitch the heart on, but then chose the flowered linen instead.

step 1 cut out the velvet heart

step 2 sew the velvet heart to your background with small running stitches close to the heart edge. leave a one inch opening for stuffing.




step 3 use a wooden chopstick to poke the stuffing in your heart. sew the opening closed.


step 4 sew tiny seed beads around the heart edge.




*tip* keep your tiny beads from rolling all over by placing them on a square of wool felt.



the beads i chose to use came from this vintage beaded bag. it must have been gorgeous when it was first made, lined with silk and adorned with a lovely beaded tassel. the seed beads are cut steel made popular in France around 1830. the cut steel beads were sewn around buckles and on buttons. i love how the beads look nestled into the velvet.


step 5 sew a tiny bunch of buds and leaves to your heart.

here is the spray of millinery flowers i unpicked from a squashed hat and some vintage crocheting thread i use for stitching.


thats how my little heart turned out. i can't decide if i want to use it as the cover of a book, the top of a pincushion, or sewn to some watercolor paper for a lavish card like this one i made last year.


a few more hearts to get you thinking about what you might want to make.
here is the lovely linen heart that came in cheryl's baby book swap package. love, love how she covered the tyvek envelope with red dots and sewed on all the labels.


the heart that was in somerset life magazine sewn around with pearls from a broken necklace on a stack of flocked vintage hankies.


my all time favorite sewn heart.


have fun sewing your own little stuffed hearts. until next time, julie

26 comments:

Robin Thomas said...

Gasp...

Tina said...

Julie - LOVE LOVE LOVE these wonderful heart ideas. I so agree with you - vintage velvet is dreamy to the touch - I have a few remnant pieces but in salmon and navy --- little harder to be imaginative with.

If you have time come by and see my creations for this weeks Artful Thurdays

xo
tina
Happy Valentines Day
embellishments by tina

Tina said...

hi again - FYI

changed the blog name awhie back formerly
pretty paper posies

ALready on your list of regulars...
:D
tina

Jenn said...

Oh Julie, these are so wonderful. I adore the red velvet heart against that pretty grey fabric. Divine!

Holly Abston said...

I love everything here, Julie. And I love YOUR heart for sharing these techniques with us. Thank you.

Kika said...

Love, love love that heart!

KarenB said...

Sigh, I love them all.

Valarie said...

Hi Julie, the velvet heart is great. You are skilled at seeing the new in the old...love it! Wish I could go thrift shopping with you. :)

candice Elton said...

This post is dreamy, it is amazing. the photographs are beautiful, and the velvet heart is just well better than chocolate truffles.
Happy Friday

Kristal said...

Oh Julie, you have me wanting to go play with all my vintage fabrics! This seems like such a simple project but would yield heavenly rewards!

XoXo,
Kristal

Bryanna Lenan said...

Thanks for the great ideas... just so gorgeous...
xo
Bryanna

Suz said...

So incredibly fun...I was so glad to see your post here. I check daily!

Vintage silk velvet almost makes me cry!

kana said...

Absolutely wonderful....I must make one. I sure would like to find a vintage velvet dress!

paperbird said...

I love your hearts Julie- they are so pretty.

I wish you would put some of these pretties on your etsy.

Jennifer said...

your tutorials and pics are just so awesome. Thanks for sharing.

p.s. what antique mall do you shop at? :)

Jayme said...

Your creations just blow me away. I am in love with every picture on this post! Thank you again for sharing these pictures and projects. Off to find velvet . . .

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww! This is so, so sweet! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

tamdoll said...

That velvet looks wonderful - I can just imagine how relaxing it must have been to sit there and stitch it. Really beautiful! Another great project - you've got me wanting to head out in search of vintage clothing now.

Aelyn said...

Those are absolutely adorable. Thank you for sharing.

One question, for the first heart, did you chain stitch those silver beads around it?

Thank you!

Aelyn

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

poor said...

Lovely sweet stuffed hearts...they have stolen my heart...I am going to make one as soon as possible.

Kathi said...

Oh so sweet that heart is!

licha20 said...

Julie, I amsooo tickled-pink to have your blog!!! If I've said this before plz pardon my giddiness!!really.

I love all your hearts!<3 (see my heart?)

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

ooo your hearts are precious, each one so very lovely!
oxo

CTB said...

Julie! Thanks for posting a pic of my package and heart. I am in love with your beautiful hearts! So lovely!

Gal said...

totally awesome :D
I really like your red velvet heart shape . Very beautiful and chic. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...