Thursday, April 1

artful thursdays #13....vintage wrist corsage tutorial


easter just seems like the perfect time to wear a flowery bonnet or corsage. my artful thursday project for today is a little velvet wrist corsage bursting with blossoms. i gathered together a few vintage finds: a vintage linen with crocheted edges, flowers and leaves from a squashed dolls hat, velvet ribbon, and some buttons.


step #1. cut 10 inches of velvet ribbon. mine is almost an inch wide.


step #2. fold one end of the velvet under 1 inch and hand stitch in place. sew a button on the right side of the velvet. this little crocheted button is 1/2 inch wide.


step #3. wrap the ribbon around your wrist and have someone pin the velvet band to fit comfortably. notch cut the ribbon end.


step #4 i haven't sewn a real button hole in years so my button hole is a shortcut. (you can even use some vintage snaps or a hook and eye closure if you don't have a sewing machine) mark where the button hole should go. I placed the button on the ribbon and marked with a pencil a dot on either side of the button. then i drew with pencil the rectangle lines to sew for the button hole.
step #5 sew around your pencil lines with a small (size 2) straight stitch on your machine. cut inside the stitching with a button hole cutter.


step #6. button your velvet band on your wrist to mark where you want your flowers. i like my crocheted button so well i want it to show. you may want to have the button be on the inside of your wrist.


step #7. cut a strip one inch wide and 12 inches long from a vintage hanky or other linen that has a pretty hand crocheted edge. this arm rest piece was very stained and worn thin so it was only 50cents.
step #8. sew a straight stitch with a needle and thread along the edge and gather the strip into a flower.


step #9. sew the gathered flower to your velvet band.



step #10 start layering on your little flowers, leaves, and ribbons one at a time and sew them in place.


the little wristlet when it is done feels so soft on your wrist, it would be so lovely to wear to a dance and then keep in your jewelry box.
happy thursday, julie

32 comments:

Patti said...

This is simply lovely. Just perfect for Easter Sunday or Mother's Day! Brings back memories of the rose one I wore for my senior recital in college with a beautiful black taffeta gown my mother made for me. Thanks for sharing!

miss lynn said...

oooohhhhhh!
loveliness!
julie, you've
got great ideas
and an eye for
coolness.
keep 'em coming!

happy day!

Jessica said...

So lovely!!!

Tina said...

yikes....gorgeous - you always make some amazing artful thursday projects...you inspire me.

xo
tina

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

this is lovely.. sweet and lovely.. thanks for the tutorial.. its not that difficult to do now.. I might give it a try.. thanks for sharing..

Happy Easter!

apparentlyjessy said...

This is such a beautiful idea. Thank you for the tutorial!

candice Elton said...

this is so adorable, I love the crocheted button and also the colors and flowers you picked. I would love to wear that on easter sunday, or to a little summer tea.
Lovely for a snow day!!!!

Kika said...

I love this! And you always have such fabulous vintage finds! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

the old white house said...

This is so pretty, I love it! Thank you for sharing the how-to. Have a beautiful Easter! Theresa

Robin Thomas said...

Ugh, so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Jingle said...

This is absolutely beautiful!

Andrea said...

Oh my just so pretty! Make me a kit!

LBB said...

Ohhh I love this! You never cease to inspire me! Happy Easter!
~Lynn

kl said...

gorgeous!
xo

Patty said...

That's so pretty, you're very artistic ;) thanks for sharing!

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Too pretty . . I've got to try this. You make it look awfully easy.

Nicole Austin said...

so gorgeous! thank you for the tutorial!

Ella said...

So lovely! I want one for me...off
to see what supplies I might have!
Thanks for the inspiration! Happy Easter to you and yours!

cathyb said...

Hi Julie - how are you. I just made a bunch of these you can see them on flickr and on my blog - have a look!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oooh that is lovely! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Alicia said...

precioso me encanta.
saludos

SunShineyRain said...

Just beautiful!

Pink Princess said...

VERY pretty♥ Love the ribbon and the colors ♥
Hugs from Marian from the Netherlands

postcards and pretties said...

so pretty ...great job!

Unknown said...

Love your tutorials!

PK said...

I just took a look at your blog for the first time. Beautiful!

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

How beautiful, Julie! I love it!

shelley said...

that is simply gorgeous. stunning, fabulous! bravo!

Meital said...

Love it!!!!!!!
Thanks :):)

Alicia said...

This is so beautiful! I love your creative use of the vintage linen with crochet edge!

Sandy said...

It looks awesome, and it is easy to made, I wish I was that gifted to do them... cause I spend a fortune in a local bridal shop last year before my wedding.

Unknown said...

They are beautiful. Can they be worn with different outfits or do you wear them for special events? I would like to make some to go with different outfits. Are they mostly for teenagers or can women like myself (over 50) wear them too?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...