Tuesday, September 1

healing...


i began this summer biking up my canyon every morning uphill into a stiff headwind. i would curse the wind and wonder everyday if i could make it to the top of the trail.
each day i would return. each day the wind was always blowing.

i have had so many lovely notes wondering how things are going, why my last blog post was the first of may. thank you for your thoughts and genuine kindness.
without knowing why i knew i needed to take some time to heal myself, to find a peace and stillness that was missing in my life, and to make a place for something new.

some days i would click on my blog and stare at my last post and wonder if i would find a place for it again, if i would feel the connection and desire to share again my journey. then i would walk away from the computer feeling sad and confused.

the floor of my studio piled up with things, dust gathered around and wispy cobwebs attached themselves to my glass glitter bottles in my window sill. i became afraid that maybe this part of my life was over, that i had let it dry up.

i didn't even really know why i was drifting...





i watched the flowers bloom alongside the canyon trail, the sun rise each morning, the colors change as the grasses dried in the heat, and watched the path of the sun as it traveled across the sky.

i learned to be still.

i feel like now a few months later i understand a bit more why i followed that voice inside that said make a little space.

i had to learn again how to lay in the fresh summer grass gazing up at the leaves fluttering in the wind, losing myself in the beauty of the trees. there have been too many voices in my head. i had to be still until they all went away.

i had to learn again how to look and see the people around me. not as they are when they are simply passing by with their voices trailing behind them but as they appear before my eyes, glowing with life and dreams, and sometimes aching and broken.

i had to learn again how to care for myself so i had something to give. i needed to heal my own aching heart so i could feel brave enough to share it.



today i headed up the canyon for an early ride. the wind was blowing. i felt it gust against my bike and blow across my face. as i came to the first long climb i realized i was smiling as i cranked the pedals. i called out loud to the wind 'do your worst' and then pedaled on to the top.



these are a few photos of the book 'Living Praise' i created after my husband's father died just before Christmas. it was published in the first issue of Art Quilting Studio this summer. it is one of my favorite pieces of work and i am so happy i had the opportunity to share it.



the folded linen pages were sewn to a wool felt backing that i glued to the inside of the book.




self adhesive book binding tape being applied to strengthen the spine.



spreading tacky glue to the book binding tape just before pressing in the wool felt backing.

(photos 4 and 5 are from Art Quilting Studio)

the song 'little pieces' by gomez

40 comments:

Parkside View said...

Julie, that was so lovely!

Acorn to Oak said...

I admire that you were able to get yourself out everyday to ride your bike and ride even when the wind was pushing you back. I love the thought of being able to lay in the grass, look up at the trees and still my mind. Ahhhh....that sounds wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration! Your book is beautiful and inspiring too! :-)

KarenB said...

I saw your book in Art Quilting and was glad to see you creating, especially something so meaningful. I'd hoped to see it on your blog sooner or later. So, glad to see you again. The book is beautiful! It's okay to take some time to heal. Probably more of us should do that. To be still.

lheurebleue said...

thank you for this wonderful post - a blessing for the soul ...
i hope you can hold on to this state of mind

Wanda said...

I'm so glad you are back. :) The world would be a little less joyful without you. You are such an inspiring person and artist. I'm glad you took some time to heal yourself.

Nina said...

beautiful :)

LindaSonia said...

Thanks for sharing your soul. LindaSonia

Jeanne said...

Julie, it is so good to hear from you again. I have missed your thoughtful posts all summer. I would check every few days to see if there was a new post and AHA!...today there was. I can totally relate to taking some down time "to heal" as you said. Life is so hectic, sometimes I feel like I am being pulled in a hundred different directions and always doing things for others and not enough for myself. That is a difficult concept for me to grasp, although intellectually I know that recharging my own battery is important and time should be made to do just that. Your post is so beautiful and your "making it to the top of the trail" so full of inspiration for me. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
xo
jeanne

Rebekah said...

Such a lovely post! And what a blessing to have had that time. Welcome back!

Primchick said...

We all need time out now & again..... it's the only way we find ourselves again....
Marion ;0)

paperbird said...

Julie your post is beautiful, just like you. You are a wonderful and kind spirit. I have missed your posts but I also understand the need for healing.
I just want to thank you for your inspiration.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful thoughts put into words! Your pieces are so inspiring, thank you for sharing. Amy :)

Eric and Madi Boettcher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Gardner said...

you are as lovely as your dear sweet thoughts. i have missed stopping by and catching a glimpse inside your world. the little book is sweet and the colors of it are so peaceful. just reading your post and seeing the pictures with the yummiest blues and vintage linen hues made me feel some peace today...thank you kindly

terry said...

welcome back; your work is just beatuiful

Lisa Super said...

That post was really moving. I love that through blogging and sharing feelings we can feel close to a perfect stranger, utter a prayer and send them xoxo's by mail. Girl I've been there, and I'm glad to be meeting you on the other side.

Jenn said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss but so happy to hear your heart is light again. We missed you!

Stephanie O. said...

After reading your fabulous book earlier this summer, I've been checking your blog periodically and was excited today to see your post.

I too have had a soul awakening that I need to be more purposeful each day. It is hard isn't it to get off the track of moving so fast that you don't notice the little details of life---like the breeze and the beauty of the trees of which you wrote?

So, good for you! I look forward to reading more about your journey...

Pearl Maple said...

Beautiful post full of creative inspiration. Life can be an interesting adventure at times.

moline/yvonne said...

I am happy you found your way back!

Maija said...

Welcome back my darling friend...you have been sorely missed!

Mary said...

I always hesitate to email someone I know just through the internet. I'm always afraid I will come across as some weird stalker, get a life individual. I have been wondering where you went, hoping it was nothing but basking in the summer sun.

So glad you are back, and so happy to read you were healing in the sun. Your posts are always so reflective and calming to me.

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Welcome back. I'm glad you found what you were looking for. Your pictures are so beautiful. : )

Namaste ~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Welcome back I've missed you :o)

Jolee Jane said...

Julie, I am so blessed to have met you(artnest) you hold somtehing transformative within you, I felt it immediately in your presence.
What a beautiful journey you just took me on, I am so encouraged by your depth,and honesty
Jolee

luckygirlgifts said...

It sounds like a blissful summer.
Good for you.
Thank you for sharing your story.

candice Elton said...

Pieces of you are ever present in my life. i am blessed to have such a friend as you. It takes courage to know what your spirit needs,you are brave,and i love you.
candice

penny nelson said...

I did miss you over the summer. Thank you for sharing your creativity and insight. You do have "individual, unique" way of producing lovely art. Penny Nelson

Cat said...

Good to have you back! I'm glad you've found a place happier than you were.

Unknown said...

Such tender beauty in these!!!

Arlene said...

Hope you are doing better.

Emily Mortimer said...

You are a treasure, and I love you dearly. Sweet words and thoughts.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

your work is so tender and peaceful and beautifully crafted. I found you through oldflowers4me
and i'm glad i did.

julie

One Knit One Purl said...

Love, love, love your blog! Very nice!

Holly Abston said...

This is so very lovely, Julie, just as everything you do. I'm so glad you're back.

Threads of Inspiration said...

Julie,
I am so glad you are back, but understand the need for re-centering and reconnecting with yourself, family and nature. You listened to your heart and gave yourself that gift.

Gloria King said...

I am so glad you shared all this amazing art...I hope you are welll

Deb said...

Hi Julie, I can't tell you how much this post touched my heart. It's as though I was meant to read it. Thank you so much, Deb

shelley said...

thank you for sharing your thoughts and allowing me to heal as i'm reading your blog. it's something we sometimes tend to forget and it's so important. thank you.

PoeticMoe said...

Wow! I'm wrecked and I love it when God does this to me lol. Your post on healing is really what is inside of me...haven't been able to verbalize or put into words but I didn't need to I guess because you already had. There is all of this stuff inside of me that is the creative colorful gifts that God put into me but life always seems to want to come along and squish it out so thank you for your transparency and hope you don't mind but I posted it on my blog at pawspraylaugh.blogspot to share and I'm looking forward to more of your blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...