Thursday, May 20

artful thursdays #19....crochet flower tutorial


today i am crocheting little flowers getting ready for my art group tonight. we are making crochet flower necklaces like the one lori gardner made. (i'll link to her photos when she posts them) she wore it to art group one night and stunned us all.

i almost gave up with the tutorial today.... the lighting was too bright, the yarn was too fuzzy and my camera wouldn't focus, i forgot to ride my bike up to the school to pick up the kids. (the little voice on the phone- mom, aren't you coming to get us?) does that spell mom failure with capital letters or what? then there is that voice asking why are you doing this again?

then everyone got home, we had a bit of a snack, and my project didn't look so awful any longer. i took a few more photos and had to be out the door. the last week of school is a killer for sure. are you feeling it?

these are the little cherry blossom flowers my daughter marina uses to make the hair clips and pins in her shop. i think they are so sweet.


i wanted a tiny project to fit in my purse this summer that i can do anywhere. this is it, all you need is a size 10 crochet hook and some #8 DMC cotton perle or thin yarn. a pair of clippers in your purse will even cut the thread. i was given a bag of crochet hooks, threads, and patterns that were my grandma beaulah's after she passed away when i was 16 years old. i love using her old metal crochet hooks now, having one in my purse will be a little memory of her.



*note* this isn't a step by step crocheting tutorial for someone that has never crocheted before in their life. if you need a bit more help check this youtube video tutorial out.


step 1. make a loop and chain 7 stitches with inside color.


step 2. slip stitch to join circle and chain one to begin round one.


step 3. you are going to crochet 5 petals around the circle. the pattern for each petal is this: crochet one single crochet through the circle you made(sc). double crochet (dc) 2 times through the circle, then single crochet(sc) again through the circle and finish the first petal with a 1/2 crochet through the circle. the pattern would read r1 sc dc dc sc 1/2c. repeat this pattern for each petal 4 more times.


step 4. slip one stitch to join round one. clip thread and pull through to tie off.

step 5. round 2 begin crocheting with outline color. join thread and single crochet through the center. this is the stitch that will shape each of the 5 petals so keep this one snug.



step 6. now single crochet around the first petal with your outline color following this pattern. single crochet once in the first stitch, single crochet twice in the second stitch, single crochet twice in the third stitch, single crochet once in the fourth stitch, single crochet through the center and begin second petal. continue crocheting around the remaining four petals following this pattern.


step 7. slip one stitch to join round 2. clip thread and pull through to tie off. use a large eyed needle to hide the thread ends on the back of the flower and clip off. your first little crochet flower is finished!



sew a small button or seed beads in the center of your flowers, sew them on a pin back or hair clip, a tiny purse or package and you might be on your way to making a whole collection of these little cherry blossoms. enjoy, julie

24 comments:

luckygirlgifts said...

Super cute, I have been wanting to do this for so long. I haven't crocheted in awhile but I used to be good at it.
I know all about craziness at the end of the school year. I just made a little statement to that affect on my blog.
We'll get through it and have a wonderful peaceful summer.
Have a wonderful weekend
Cari B.

Honey Lamb and I said...

Looks so fun but intimidating to me! I am going to study this awhile and see how well I can do with these sweet flowers! Thanks for the tips and encouragement:) ~Shelley

vntagegirl805 said...

I have been wanting to do this, thank you so much, LOVE your artful Thursdays.

Jeanne said...

I've made something like these, but I love how you added the contrasting border to the flowers.
xo
jeanne

KarenB said...

Love them! I'm going to print this off right now. I might take this on a flight that won't allow knitting needles. Plus, it's a tiny project. What could be better? I love what you do!

Raejean said...

You must have been reading my mind....I just got a book at the library to try to teach myself hoe to make crocheted little flowers....OMG...you are amazing...and easier to understand than the library book...wish I was there making crocheted flower necklaces with you gals.. thanks for the info

Kristal said...

Julie, You are amazing! You always seem to be reading my "Artful" mind!!! I have been wanting to dig out my crochet hooks and make something. Combine that with the fact that my little girl is now at the stage where she wants me to put pretty things in her hair...well, you hit the proverbial nail-ob-the-head for me with this post! I will need to make a run to the craft store for the thread...as much DMC as I have, it's only for cross stitch. But buying thread is the fun part!!

Kateyed said...

This is my mental block! You seem to explain it so clearly but I can't imagine being able to do this in a million years. I have a show coming up and when it is over, I will come back!

Love your blog!

Suz

Unknown said...

I really want to make your little flowers! They are so sweet. I just broke my arm and can't do anything right now. I'm so sad--this is my therapy and now I have none. But I know this soon will pass.

Bryanna Lenan said...

Ohhh... looks so pretty and you make it look so easy!! Thanks for sharing!

Traineeship said...

They are so beautiful. I used to have a cute hair clip like that. Thank you for the tutorial.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sally said...

These are really cute. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I came over from One Pretty Thing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria Martin said...

Thanks for this great tutorial!!
I love your page and will recommend some of your tutorials in my blog:
http://how-to-make.blogspot.com/
:)

RODIAH HAMID@IBRAHIM said...

i love it..thanks..

Martha Winger said...

Lovely tutorial and flower design. I love the outline and the seed beads in the middle. Thank you for sharing!

Martha Winger said...

Lovely flowers; love the outlining and seed bead centers. Thank you for sharing your tutorial!

Anonymous said...

I love that crochet is so portable! your flowers are lovely

Candice said...

Wonderful! We've reposted at
macgyvermamas.blogspot.com

Make handmade said...

So cute flower! i love it.

Anonymous said...

I love the flower but what is "1/2c" at the end of each petal?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...